La Vegetariana Loca

Here are some random ramblings of a girl that will probably end up in an insane asylum sometime in her near future...Kookookachoo. She loves her Queen, she loves her Beatles and her Who and her Zeppy and her music in general. She loves her writing. She loves love. And she loves you. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Album of the Week

Ah, well. :) We'll never know how this works until we try, eh?

First, I wanted to go ahead and say something. I have a lot of albums. A. Lot. Last time I counted, it was around 120, and that was over two years ago: I've gotten atleast 30 more albums since then. However, I am not even going to try and pretend that I have everything. No. Not even close.

My point. If you want to nominate an album for me to do this on, go ahead and nominate it. Please. ^_^ But if I don't have it...Well, I'll work out something to where you can do it. Just get in contact with me through the comments and let me know.

Alright. That's it for the housekeeping.

ALBUM OF THE WEEK!
ARTIST: The Who (official web page: http://www.thewho.com/index.php)
ORIGINAL LINE-UP:
Roger Daltrey Pictures, Images and Photos
Roger Daltrey, lead vocals and harmonica (1 March 1944)
Keith Moon Pictures, Images and Photos
Keith Moon, drums (23 August 1946 -- 7 September 1978)
john entwhistle Pictures, Images and Photos
John Entwhistle, bass and vocals(9 October 1944 -- 27 June 2002) <--Extra credit if you can tell me who else in rock history was born on the ninth of October. ;) Pete Townshend Pictures, Images and Photos
Pete Townshend, guitar and keys and vocals (19 May 1945)
ALBUM: Who's Next (I have the 2001 bonus track edition)
YEAR OF ORIGINAL RELEASE: 1971
TRACK LISTING:
1. Baba O'Riley
2. Bargain
3. Love Ain't for Keeping
4. My Wife
5. The Song is Over
6. Getting in Tune
7. Going Mobile (In this one, The Who is featured as a three-piece with only Pete Townshend doing guitar and vocals, John Entwhistle on bass, and Keith Moon on drums.)
8. Behind Blue Eyes
9. Won't Get Fooled Again
10. Pure and Easy (released 2001)
11. Baby Don't You Do It (released 2001)
12. Naked Eye
13. Water (released 2001)
14. Too Much of Anything
15. I Don't Even Know Myself
16. Behind Blue Eyes (released 2001)
Who's next Pictures, Images and Photos
ABOUT THE SLEEVE: "'Who's Next' appeared in a striking sleeve, photographed by Ethan A. Russell, which became famous in its own right. It bore no reference to 'Lifehouse.' The band had discovered a concrete monolith on a Sheffield slag-heap, a potent symbol of alienation and the mundane uniformity of modern life. This was a wonderful example of real life surrealism, for which the band could find no other purpose than to piss upon! (An earlier, less-cerebral sleeve of keith in wig and corset was thankfully rejected.)"--John Atkins, editer of Who fanzine "Generations."

Interesting tidbit: This album started out as another rock opera by Pete, who wanted to do something bigger and better than Tommy ever saw the day to be. The project was to be called Lighthouse, and it was basically about a boy that lived "pretend" life inside of a sort of bubble. It was going to be not only an album, but also a major motion picture. However, nobody was really able to understand Pete's story but Pete himself, and so the project became Who's Next, which salvaged the music, minus the story. Not all tracks are from this: My Wife was an extra from a recording project of John Entwhistle's.

YOU CAN BUY IT HERE:

http://www.amazon.com/Whos-Next-Who/dp/B00000DWHH/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1230761570&sr=8-11

(This has the original track listing.)
Here's also a really good DVD that I have that accompanies the album. It tells the story behind the album, with interviews from the band and its cohorts.

http://www.amazon.com/Whos-Next-Who/dp/B000I5XD24/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1230761727&sr=8-12

Also, Pete does an accoustic version of Behind Blue Eyes on it...I'd pay the price of the DVD just to see that. :)

All in all, this is a wonderful, wonderful album. For what it's worth, I highly recommend it. One of my all-time favorite albums from one of my all-time favorite bands.

Give it a listen! :)

Oh, and a little something extra...

Has anybody seen this? What do you think of it? If you don't own it, are you foaming at the mouth as badly as I am to get it...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
News Main Page

This webpage uses Javascript to display some content.

Please enable Javascript in your browser and reload this page.